Friday, July 25, 2008

Why yes, I can make a pencil pouch

Pencil pouches in different sizes!

My friend Erin requested a few pencil pouches for her upcoming art classes. Truth be told, I said "Hey, I want to make zipper pouches, want any?" which is basically my way of saying I'm bored, let me make you something. So Erin requested a few pencil pouches for her art supplies.

Actually, what she requested was one that was essentially round on each end and more make-up case looking than pouch looking. Unable to find a tutorial and/or pattern for one, and knowing I probably couldn't make it work, I found this one instead and went with it.

Here's my approach to tutorials:

1. I read them about 90 times.
2. I rewrite them into a notebook in ways I know I'll understand it
3. I try it. If I don't nail it on the first try, I usually toss the project (and the instructions) in a fit of frustration and pout about my brain being unable to follow pattern instructions.

This tutorial, though? Not so difficult and quite easy to understand. The pics were a GREAT help to me and I only had to refer to them once. They were clear, they were concise, and best of all, I didn't really have to rewrite them in my own craft speak to get them to make sense. I love when that happens.


Bonus: I finally, FINALLY, from this tutorial, have gained a clear understanding of how to use my zipper foot.
It's a pretty zipper!
I made them in different sizes once I got the first one down. Even with a zipper installation I had no issues creating these cute and simple little pouches in the desired sizes. I did, somehow, though run into a small problem on the large pouch: I got a little fraying. I don't know what I did but I somehow managed to have the inside seam stick out more than it should have on the outside of the pouch. (If you read the tutorial, you'll see that she guides you through how to make the inside seam nice and pretty presentable!)


I also made a little draw string bag out of some strange linen-like fabric I had in my stash (it frayed so badly) and some of the scraps from one of the pouches for storage.


I love this tutorial and I plan on making zipper bags like this to go with any new handbag I make. It's going to bug me, though, that I made these four in different fabrics that don't at all work together and will be tempted to redo them in things that coordinate...but I really want to move on to the next project I have in mind!

No comments: