I am a frequent writer of letters. Real letters. On paper, sometimes with goofy little drawings to illustrate whatever I'm talking about or to give a better feel to the people I'm around. (You know, like when I'm sitting in Starbucks working on a letter and there's a couple next to me I'm eavesdropping on. Of course I provide little pictures of them!) I send on a regular basis (read: at least twice a week) to my friend Katie. I also send to my friends Sara and Leah, my cousin Brooke, my Aunt June, and my friend Erin (who lives about 15 miles from here but I don't see her often.)
Only, I just realized that I haven't sent to that last group for over two months, so that's a bad example, probably. I need to get on that!
I digress.
I love a handwritten letter. Or a card. Or a postcard. (My cats send postcards too!) While Katie and I email each other Monday through Friday with long missives about our day/previous day, we still write actual letters. I look forward to those email, but the letters always make me do a little happy dance when I find one in my box.
In honor of National Letter Writing month I'm having a blog give-away. Letter writing is truly near and dear to my heart. Whether I'm writing them myself or reading them in a book like any of the Aunt Dimity series I get a special warm fuzzy feeling. There's something so intimate, so personal, so sweet...so old school...about getting a hand written missive that can't be replicated in any other way.
So, I have two packs of stationary bits from my own collection to give away. Cards, envelopes, papers, and while not pictured, some little bits of things to jazz up your letters.
Want one? Leave me a comment about letters. Do you love them? Do you write them? Do you wish you wrote them? Do you have a favorite book that utilizes the art of letter writing? Or a movie? What's the best letter you've ever received? So on and so forth -- you don't have to answer them all or even pick one. Just tell me why letters are special to you.
Pack one
Pack two
Points of interest:
Letter Writers Alliance
Books about letters
Where I buy a lot of my vintage stationary
Tutorial for how I made the envelope from Vintage Indie
Drawing for the contest will be on Tuesday, April 13th! Leave a comment and pass it on!
17 comments:
When my husband and I were first dating, over 13 years ago, he wrote me a letter written backwards. I answered the letter back, written backwards. Back and forth it went all summer long, passing love letters back and forth, all written backwards! That was such a fun thing between us! Many of our friends didn't understand why we continued this, but it was a special connection we had with each other, something shared only between us!
I just posted but forgot to leave my email address!
Sarahsewta[at]yahoo[dot]com
Thanks!
Sarah
You big, dumb, mean, jerky jerk! You made me cry. AND I AM AT WORK!
When my grandfather was sick with cancer, I wrote him a letter every week with silly things my boys were doing. I didn't know until the funeral that the whole family read them all. They waited for a letter every week and if it didn't come, they called my dad to find out why not. I started writing weekly e-mails after he died and that led to my blog.
I still write letters, especially to folks I know are having a hard time with something. My goal in each letter is to make someone laugh!
Thanks for reminding me to write more!
Anna
I think letters are very special because they have had physical contact with the person who wrote them in a way that emails haven't. It's often possible to detect changing emotions in the letter by the way the handwriting changes.
I the letter I treasure most is one that I no longer have..in fact it was the envelope. The envelope contained a wedding anniversary card from a dear Aunt who has since died. I still have the card, but accidentally the envie got thrown away . My Aunt had written such a moving note on the outside of the flap after she had sealed it down..obviously something that came to her after she wrote the card. I wish I still had the envie, but at least I have the memory of it.
I think even a short note is capable of lifting someone's spirits or showing them that you care.
i love writing letters! they are so original, thoughtful, and people love a surprise in the mail!!!
I love writing letters. I have mailed out two this past week. Please count me in on your give away.
My Mom writes letters - every week - to her friends, family, editors, etc. Now she writes letters to me, and to my kids, ages 3 and 5. Every week. Even though we talk on the phone often. I love it. I aspire to the same! I also recently completely fell in love with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - which if you haven't read, you must - it is letter writing at its best. Hope I win so I can get on the ball!
My mom used to write to her friends and family abroad. With that, I became curious with letter writing, and searched for myself a penpal. I never knew that receiving mail can be so a surprise, that I became enthusiastic. It gained me lots of friends from other countries, and it gave me the benefit of learning their languages and culture.
I too love to write letters. My mother was a letter writer. I tried to write at least a letter every week to her. Getting a "fun" letter in the mail can brighten any day. Besides you need fun stuff to offset the bills and junk mail or why would anyone want to check their mailboxes. lol
hesler.m at gmail dot com
What an awesome giveaway! I somehow managed to misplace all of my stationary I used to use - probably because AIM and Facebook took over all of my correspondence. I've started hosting some Pen Pal swaps on SB (VallesAvallonis) so this is perfect timing. :) Thanks for letting us know about it!
rebekah.hale@umit.maine.edu
letters are so personal my bbfl started out as a pen pal we shared everything in our letters about life hopes dreams family failures etc. we grew so close that even today we write about once aweek plus keep a journal for a month b4 we swap them as well. I am now going to to a godmother to her new baby. such love such friendship all started through a piece of paper a pen and half an hour out of my day.
(flutterby42 from swapbot)
I love to send and receive letters they seem so much more personal than email. A full mailbox is a happy mailbox.
I write letters a lot, at least 2 a week, i have a few penpals and i love writing long letters, drawing little drawings and so on.
i love that a letter written on paper is so personal to that person,they have taken time to write it and personalise it just for that person. =]
LOVE letter writing. LOVE getting the mail and finding something besides junk! I love writing "just because" notes. You never know when someone needs a little smile in their mailbox.
Also, I love seeing handwriting. I'm almost as obsessed with handwriting as fonts!
I love letters, but I am not great at writing them. I am trying to get better. I think we have forgotten the art of letter writing since communication because simple through facebook and email.
When my husband and I first dated he was in FL and I was in CA. We wrote letters and I have saved them. I love looking back at them. For our first anniversary, he bought me special papers for us to write letter to each other with. Although life has gotten busy with life and children, I still love getting those special stationary letters every once in a while.
Thanks! Julie
3jules [at] gmail [dot] com
I love to get hand written letter. I don't do it as much as I should. I do write to my best friend who lives in Florida, and all my swap-bot partners get a hand written note.
Glad to see that people still know how to use a pen and paper instead of a keyboard!
Paula
cowspots@shentel.net
Post a Comment