I was invited to a bookbinding class yesterday taught by my friend Carrie. (I also got to play with the new stamps she's got coming out and they are super cute!)
We took old Reader's Digests and gutted them. When I took mine apart, the glue was so old the cover just popped apart so we used the black book repair tape to reattach it.
Inside cover. I cut the Ex Libris bookplate from the innards of the Reader's Digest. The paper (on both the front and back inside covers) is from the new She Art paper line.
For the record: it took me TWO HOURS to bind. The pamphlet stitch is easy but the beads take time! Especially when you have to find ones that your needle will fit through!
I cite Sylvia Tietjens and Parade's End as my inspiration, as Parade's End is one of my favorite books and watching the BBC miniseries has been divine. I don't normally use my books once I make them but this one I am going to use as an art journal with the theme of Parade's End. I'm also thinking about using my other hand made books for the same thing, a book for each of my favorite novels. But we'll see because I am lazy when it comes to projects like that!




No comments:
Post a Comment