Monday, July 28, 2008

The Business Card Holder

I did sit back down and try that last project again, the mini-travel frame, but I'm afraid I gave up half way through when I realized that my frames were two different sizes. I chucked the project in the trash, cleaned up the felt, and put a little "Failed" notation with the date. The rewritten tutorial will go into my project book and I moved on. Ideally I'd like to go back and retry failed projects, but we'll see. Sometimes just thinking about them inspires frustration.

I moved on to another project, this time the business card holders found here.

I admit, while I was sitting there drawing out my template and cutting fabric, I thought to myself, "You know, if I fail at this one that's two in a row and I might have to deem myself some kind of...craft failure."

And as I cut it out and sewed it together, I thought the same thing. As I turned it inside out and ironed it, examining my work, those thoughts went away and I knew I wasn't a total craft failure. Not even when I realized the tiny little mistake I made when I tried to put my business cards into it to see if it fit:


I wasn't thinking and stitched up the top. A couple of ripped stitches later, I had success.


It's a little wonky at the top but it is, after all, my first attempt. I'm going to try again and then one more with felt, because I have it in my head I need to use some felt from my stash...so I can buy more!

No comments: