Saturday, September 6, 2008

A little organizing + recycling

I recycle. A lot. If I can chuck it into the recycling bin I will. We recycle so much in our house (there are two of us) that we use about 1 trash bag a week but have to take our recycle bin out to the main bin at least every day. I like knowing that what I've tossed isn't just going to go into some landfill over by the airport to languish well past my living years.

I also like to recycle when it comes to things I make. I take apart old clothes and add the fabric to my sewing stash. I reuse frames for bulletin boards, glass jars for storage, the back sides of printed sheets for homemade notebooks. I like found object art and indulge in it occasionally. So coming across this tutorial pleased me greatly and I couldn't wait to try it.

When I moved into the house I live in currently, the owner left behind a lot of stuff. (I stress the word A LOT) One of them was a box of old albums. The Beatles, the Monkees, Leonard Nemoy. They were musty smelling and warped from age, but I kept the box thinking record bowls or notebook covers. I'd forgotten they were in my office closet until I saw this tutorial and had to try it. I just picked the first two covers and went at it. One is at my office door for bills and one is by my paper station holding some old 45" album covers I wanted to turn into cd envelopes.

Bills! (Boring old bills!)
Ephemera! (Not so boring!)

The only thing I did differently was use thumb tacks on the inside instead of the double stick foam tape to hang. My walls are textured and it wouldn't have stuck. I'm thinking of making a few for Christmas and jazzing them up with some glitter or something. And I certainly see notebook covers in the future!

No comments: