Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trash + Knitting. Trashy knitting?

Firstly. Despite having carpal tunnel and some kind of pinched nerve under my shoulder blade, I still love doing things like embroidery. And now, knitting. I finally broke down and bought a Knifty Knitter because I really want to make scarves and hats. I don't know of anyone (nearby) that knits and could teach me, so I took it upon myself to learn.

I had a shaky start. I had to watch the video instructions about 40 times and finally had to have it explained to me, but I finally got it.

First scarf, already shipped off to my friend Jeanine.


Second one. The first one I used a single strand of yarn, this one a double. I love how the double looks. So thick and warm. I ran out of gray, so I went to black, then thought I was buying this gray with black flecks when actually it was green with black flecks. The lighting must have screwed with how it looks because I also bought the wrong red for another project that I thought was the perfect match. Tri-color works, but not in the colors I wanted. But it was a well received gift, so it works out.



Finally. THE first birthday present for the L, daughter of friends. On a usual morning walk this was found on top of a junk pile in front of someone's house. It was too good to pass up, so it was brought home, taken apart, sanded, painted, and put back together. Then painted again. (I *heart* spray paint.)

The hair was a little tricky but I finally figured it out, taking two strips of fabric and sewing yarn into it, then gluing and stapling it onto the horse. There was a yarn tail, but I cut it out and covered what I couldn't get out with a little hand made seat. (Ha. The seat patterns doubles as a whale pattern!)

I love how it came out and the L seemed to like it, so job well done if I do say so myself.



P.S.
I've had several rather uppity people tell me that using a loom to knit isn't knitting. It's cheating. I don't get how that could be because I'm still putting a lot of effort into what I make. Sure, it takes only a few hours to whip out a scarf, but how is that cheating? Is knitting all the sudden an elite art/craft that people feel the need to point out my choice of loom is inferior? I'll never get people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss AOTM? We miss you. Alterna-non-attack site: http://tinyurl.com/6bsgdh

Gabe (gabechouinard) is the one running it. Come see us again?