Monday, May 10, 2010

Sea of Love

I'd been in the market for making something that didn't involve my sewing machine for a few days now. I came across this tutorial somewhere in the blog-world and knew I had to make it.

I didn't want to buy a template to make a box and I didn't want to shell out for a stamp I was only going to use once, so I improvised. I used a vintage cigar box and one of my favorite stamps, along with the print-out freebies she offers for the project.

Cons: The tutorial is picture heavy and a little slow loading. If you want it to look just like the one in the tutorial you have to shell out for the stamp and the box template if you can't figure out how to make your own.

Pros: The downloads are organized nicely and you have the options of PDF, PNG, or JPEG, along with various color choices. It's a well put together tutorial and the end product is adorable! I think the stamp she used is cute, but it's not my style and won't have a use for it, so I went with my own thing. I think this particular project allows for that flexibility and the possibilities are endless. (I already want to make another!)

Materials: cardstock, lots of glue and tape. The boat is colored with Twinkling H2O's (which I haven't played with in months) and the hearts are just chalked. (So is the sun.) The robot is a Savvy Stamp called 'Valentine Robot' and the little thought bubble hearts are a Memory Box stamp called 'Good Thoughts'. (Neither of which I can find a link for.) He's just colored in with regular pens.

Time to make: about 4 hours, mostly because I had a hard time making the sail look just right. I tried everything from paper to fabric to hearts and finally just settled on the plain triangle sail.

On to the next one. This time I think I'm going to use vintage papers!

3 comments:

Whatever I Say said...

This is OMG very super cute! I love how the hearts and sun are the same paper and colored to reflect what they are; genius! And your waves are a perfect fit insofar as paper choice.

Little Messy Missy said...

Very sweet! You could also through in some fabric...

African Kelli said...

This is very sweet! I love the dimensions.