Tuesday, January 22, 2013
art by the inch challenge
I have been wanting to revisit this challenge for quite some time (read: years) and just have never gotten around to it. I discovered that while the original website is still up, it hasn't been updated since 2009 and I couldn't find anyone else doing it. So I've resurrected it and claim no credit for it's creation; I just think it's a great challenge. I recently introduced it to my craft group as a 30 day, win a prize challenge but the idea was that I'd also offer it here, minus the prize. I think it's a fantastic motivator.
In the original Art by the Inch challenge, it was a commitment to make 10,000 square inches of art no matter what it was. No matter what it is, the real intent is to get into a creative flow, explore and play with what you have, and CREATE.
The specifics:
-whatever you do creatively counts: painting, drawing, sculpture, sewing, book binding, print making, card making, scrapbook pages, art journal pages, shrines, etc
-cooking and baking, while an art form themselves, will not count, solely because of measurement purposes
-if you'd like to share your measured pieces as you go along, please feel free to. You can leave them on a Flickr page, a blog post, a Facebook album, etc. Just leave a link in the comments. (I'd create a Flickr group, but I'm unsure of how many people will participate. If there's interest, let me know and I'll create one!0
-please keep a record of your inches. Suggested way: simply list your project and it's measurements
-30 days starts today, 22 January, and goes until Wednesday, 20 February
How to measure:
Basically, measure length, height, and width then multiply!
specifics to measurements:
-to keep it fair, if you make a book, only measure the cover, not the inside pages unless they are decorative pages (ie: only measure art journaling pages, not blank signature pages)
-do not measure depth (for example, if you make a shrine. length, height, width count, depth does not)
-measurements should be in inches
-if you make something circular, measure as if it were a clock: the height from the 12 to 6 position, the length from the 9 to 3 position
Example: if you make a 12" x 12" scrapbook page, you've created 144 square inches of art!
Labels:
2010,
a swap for all seasons,
challenges
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment