Saturday, March 16, 2013

i was inspired (!)


{dusting off the craft blog...}

One of my favorite craft blogs, One Lucky Day, had this project up recently and after reading it, it was on my mind for DAYS afterwards. That typically means one thing: it's a project I need to try. 

This canvas is my first attempt - a gift for a friend who is a stand up commedianne in NYC (!). I don't have the Tattered Floral die but I did have the foam needed to make my own stamps, so I used some felt flowers I had. I simply traced onto foam, cut them out, and used them. Since I wasn't at home when I made this, I just used double stick tape on the back of each stamp and mounted them to my regular block, peeling them off after each use and tossing them. 


When I got home I kept thinking about the project - how I wanted to do it again, but with cleaner flowers. So I dug through my Cuttlebug dies collection and realized I had quite a few flowers I could use. This time I went with a little thicker foam.


Note: I did not cover the backs with double sided tape before I cut them. It might have been easier; I ended up using a roll of glue rings, which worked just as well.


Rather than mount them to my regular mount and remove them after each use, I mounted them to some really thin acrylic taken from some small frames from Ikea. Easy to cut with a pair of scissors.


The problem with a not-so-great work-in-progress photo is you can't really go back and take another one. Unless you take multiples of the same photo, which I usually don't...so this not-so-great photo is of my testing out the stamps in my art journal.


Finished art journal page. The smudged with paint word sticker reads 'learn', by the way. I did notice that the Sharpie fine tips don't work as well for outlining as the Sharpie Pen does, at least on the canvas. I used the pen for the art journal, which is water color paper. 

I really love this project and have two more canvases lined up to get the same treatment. 

No comments: