Saturday, July 20, 2013

Marl of Boro: The Patron Saint of "That's bad for your health."




Marl of Boro: Patron Saint of “That’s really bad for your health."  Mixed media piece. 
A friend of mine and I are doing a once a month Saint of the Month exchange. It doesn’t have to be your traditional, typical Saint - it can be whatever you dream up. I've been doing it on and off with various people for years. I've gotten a flip flop as the Patron Saint of Beachwear, a melted chocolate bar encased in acrylic as the Patron Saint of When you leave your treats in the car, and a photo of someone’s hand as the Patron Saint of the High Five. 
It’s deconstructed cigarette boxes on chipboard. The gold background is the inside foil, the tiles are front/back of each box. I gave the tiles a coat of gesso then a mix of gold and sandstone glitter paint. I painted the butts with the same mixture and the cover is a lid to a random tin I had around that I covered with the last of the foil. Originally I had used black ink lines for the boarder and replaced it when I decided I didn't care for the look. 
Oh and the metal stars are from my stash.
It was a tiny bit out of my comfort zone and I found myself constantly asking “what on Earth are you doing?" but I’m pleased with the results and realized in the end I actually had fun with it. 

1 comment:

Little Messy Missy said...

Very cool!!!!! What an awesome idea!!