Wednesday, September 4, 2013

hexagons

I'm very attracted to hexagons in art whether they be paper or fabric or whatever else they can be made out of. I use them about as much as I use hearts, which is to say often. I finally sat down and taught myself how to make fabric hexagons and used the results to make small wall hangings for my secret pal. 

They're just standard hex flowers with a smaller hex flower on top. I used a very lovely teal blue thread (it was too pretty to not use as an accent) when I zig-zag stitched. I hand sewed everything together then used the machine to cover up where you could see my stitches. I don't have the patience to make things look perfect so adding an accent color stitch works for me. 


The green one has a Tim Holtz metal tag for it's center and the red one has a brad/vintage plastic flower combo. They were both sewn onto a piece of muslin that I then just put into a hoop to make an instant wall hanging. 


Hexes were fun and relaxing to make but I can't imagine making thousands of them to create a quilt of some kind!

No comments: