Friday, August 22, 2008

It was iffy at first, but in the end...success!

Sometimes I find myself in the mood for a challenge. A project that I know will require some finesse, some time, and most of all, will push me to the limits of what I can do with my sewing skills. When I find myself in one of these moods, I like to find something that I already make but can make better or differently. Bags, for example. I've been making simple tote bags for months on end and have been too timid to try new patterns because, well, let's face, I'm not the great with directions. While the Knot bag was a success and I've made a few of them in recent days, I wanted to branch out.

I wanted to branch out to something reversible and cute and well, different. Cleaning out bookmarks I came across the tutorial from Lula Louise for her reversible shoulder bag.

For the first time in a long time, I didn't bother to read the directions and rewrite them in a way I could understand them. (That's a first for me!) The directions, while they could have been a tiny bit clearer, were easy enough to follow and the pictures she posted were more than helpful.
My problems:

1. I printed out the tiled PDF and assembled the pattern per instructions. Either my printer was off or the pattern was off, because I had to do some serious adjusting to get things to line up the proper ways. (Should you find yourself using this pattern, let me know how the assemblage goes for you.)

2. Steps 5 & 6 could have been a little more clear in the written instructions area. I think. Perhaps it's just me, but it took me about a half hour to figure out what she meant, and that was with the aid of the pictures.

3. I don't have enough cutting table space for so much fabric!

While problem 3 is my own problem, it was pretty easy to follow and make.

Once I got it all figured out, it was a breeze. I have round-bottom bag experience from a pattern I bought last year, so that part was a breeze. Even the turning out portions were easy, and typically, I manhandle and rip seams.


It's soft and sturdy and going to be added to my shopping bag collection. I would like to figure out how to make the straps longer; while it says you can wear it across your chest (the manner in which I like to carry my bags), this strap isn't long enough for a girl like me. I also need to remember for the next one that the pull through spot at the end should be on the lining so that you don't see the hand stitching on the outside.

Overall: not so frustrating and fun to put together.

No comments: