Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kinda like Martha

After an exhaustive search for wooden blocks (not really. It was just hot and I wanted to go home), I finally found a bag of six at Hobby Lobby. The last bag of six. I was assured, though, that they would be getting more in stock this week should I require anymore. That's great news, because after this project, I know I'm going to need more.


(Note. I could just order them online and be done with it.)


I gave the unfinished blocks a light sanding then painted them with the Golden Glazes. I was going to go the acrylic paint route, but decided I wanted a softer look. So Glazes it was.

The paper just came from my scrap bin and the stickers were some letter set I'd picked up who knows when. I did screw up my idea though: I wanted to do an A-B-C and an X-Y-Z. I was distracted and went A-B-C all the way through, but you know what, it works.


The key, I've found, to Martha Stewart projects is you can't expect yours to turn out as PERFECTLY as hers. You just can't. If you do, then you'll hate your end results and chuck your project in the trash when you are done. In fact, that's how I live my crafting life: I have to know that my projects are not always going to look like what they do in the pictures. Or even in my head, sometimes. It really takes the pressure off my creativity level.

I love these blocks. These are going to my 2 year old cousin Sullivan as a late birthday present. They're also going to be baby gifts for Christmas. I'm even considering making a set for adults; I can think of a few that would enjoy a set of blocks to have on their desk to play with.

No comments: