Sunday, September 28, 2008

Castles!

Inspired by much prettier castles I saw on Etsy (featured: here) I tried my hand at making a few for a birthday present. For having no pattern and no clue what I was doing because I'm not really a Softie making kind of girl, I had the best time putting these together. Truly, with creations like these, the possibilities are limitless.

I call this one the Ivy Tower. I used lime green ric-rac for vines and the flowers are Prima Flowers. (I'm not sure which kind, though. I have had them for quite some time and they are the loveliest shades of purple and are paper...but finding them on the Prima website is impossible.)







The pink one was my first attempt at making the windows look more like windows and the door look more like a door. The vines are hand embroidered (my poor arm is now aching badly. boo!) and so are the window/door details. The flowers are these little plastic flowers I sewed into place with French knots...





A close up of my very first French knot...I've been doing embroidery/cross stitch since I was 10 and I have never been able to do French knots. Then I found this tutorial and they were a breeze!

No comments: