Monday, September 29, 2008

Simple Sewing with a French Twist?

While flipping through Simple Sewing with a French Twist at the bookstore I happened upon a montage of pictures of things meant for the home. (It's divided by room) I believe it was the bedroom section. It was the loveliest pink and white fabric wall pocket hanging snapped onto an antique coat hanger. It was adorable but there was no pattern or directions for it in the book that I could find. So I made a quick sketch and made one of my own.

This is what I came up with: using a vintage pillowcase (one of my favorite patterns) I made a simple rectangle and pocket. I used heavy interfacing and for the ribbon loops, I used my pliers and eyelets. I liked the idea of snapping it onto a hanger but the only antique hanger I have is in a frame...so eyelets it was. I guess I tossed the directions for my pliers, but found this SUPER handy video on You-Tube for setting eyelets into fabric.


With mail, which is what I think I'm going to use it for when I find a place to hang it.


About the book: I did not buy it. It seemed silly to pay nearly 30 dollars for a book of pretty pictures and somewhat unusable patterns. Directions seemed clear enough, but they also seemed incomplete. Also, a lot of the projects were more for embellishing than creating something from scratch. It's beautifully photographed, though, and was rather inspiring to look through.

I see more of these in my future!

No comments: